We recommend in-home lactation visits when:
- Mom is experiencing pain while breastfeeding
- Mom is struggling with positioning
- Baby is not latching correctly
- Baby is not staying awake to take a full feeding
- Mom is concerned about milk supply
- Mom has questions about how often or how long to breastfeed
- Mom is experiencing flu like symptoms in addition to breast soreness and fatigue
- Baby has lost more than 10% of their birth weight
- Baby is not having enough wet or dirty diapers
- Baby has not regained their birth weight by 2 weeks
- Mom is being encouraged to supplement
- Baby is refusing to nurse (either on one side or both)
- Baby is refusing to take a bottle
- Mom is concerned about pump output
- Mom has noticed her nipples are misshapen or very sensitive after breastfeeding
- Baby is having excessive gas or spit up
- Mom is breastfeeding with a nipple shield and needs help weaning from the nipple shield
- Mom is supplementing and needs help weaning from formula
- Mom is experiencing engorgement lasting more than 2 days
- Mom is struggling emotionally and feels discouraged
- Parents suspect a tongue or lip tie
- Parents feel lost
Lactation consultants and counselors are a breastfeeding-mother’s BEST hope for solving issues with breastfeeding, regaining hope and confidence, and successfully reaching the breastfeeding goals she has set for herself. Lactation professionals are specialists in troubleshooting problems with breastfeeding, optimal infant nutrition, and counseling breastfeeding mothers. We do this work because we LOVE moms and babies and want nothing more than to see every mother succeed in reaching her OWN breastfeeding goals. A lactation consultant should never make a mother feel “silly,” judged or misunderstood.
The providers at Lactation Consultants of Central FL are committed to compassionate, evidence-based breastfeeding care. If you are struggling with breastfeeding and are unsure if an in-home visit would be helpful, or if your issues are worth a consultation know that EVERY mother and baby deserve a beautiful and enjoyable breastfeeding journey! Help is here – we are here for you.
Lactation consultations are held in the privacy of your own home and can be scheduled at a time that is convenient for you. All lactation consultations are with either an Internationally Board-Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) or Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC) and allow as much time is needed for latch assessment, help with positioning, observation of a feeding, a pre- and post-feeding weight check, troubleshooting of any breastfeeding or pumping issues, and an opportunity to get all of your breastfeeding, bottlefeeding and pumping questions answered.
- Up to 2.5 hours with your lactation consultant (visits lasting longer than 1 hour will be billed at a rate of $37.50 per 1/4 hour)
- Infant latch assessment and counseling to ensure a good latch
- Positioning help and recommendations for optimal positioning
- Observation of a full nursing session (your lactation consultant will talk you through everything she is seeing and teach YOU what to be looking for)
- Weight check (before and after a feeding) *weight checks are performed using an electronic infant scale for improved accuracy and will provide you with important information about milk supply and your baby’s ability to transfer milk at the breast
- Assessment of baby’s milk transfer and discussion surrounding adequacy of milk intake
- Recommendations to improve milk transfer, efficiency, and comfort
- Weight history review
- Assessment of milk supply and help with achieving an optimal supply
- Advanced troubleshooting of breastfeeding, bottlefeeding, and/or pumping issues
- Answers to any questions or concerns you may have about breastfeeding, bottlefeeding, and/or pumping
At the conclusion of your visit, your lactation consultant will go over everything that was discussed and ensure all of your questions and concerns were addressed. Next, your lactation consultant will collaborate with you to prepare your Breastfeeding Care Plan and review any notes from your visit. When appropriate, referrals may be made.
In-home Lactation Consultations can be scheduled any day of the week, between the hours of 8am and 6pm. Please choose a time when your baby will likely be ready for a feeding to allow for an assessment of latch and observation of a feeding.
- $150 (a $25 travel fee applies to visits in Volusia, Polk, and Osceola county)
- Have health insurance? Click here to learn how you may qualify for full reimbursement for your lactation visit.
If you feel you need more time to discuss or have a lot of questions, your lactation consultant can stay longer to be sure you are comfortable and all your questions have been addressed. Visits lasting longer than the original time allotted will be billed at a rate of $37.50 per 1/4 hour.
We’re open nights, weekends, and holidays because we all know, BREASTFEEDING CAN’T WAIT!
Paying For Breastfeeding Help: Is A Lactation Consultant Worth the Cost? Check out our cost comparison!
I would definitely recommend Lactation Consultants of Central Florida. Amy was extremely helpful during a challenging time in any mom’s life. She’s very knowledgeable, supportive, and kind. It was also wonderful to have someone to call or text at any time with breastfeeding questions. I wasn’t able to breastfeed my first son but have been able to do it with my second!
I recently had a wonderful experience with Amy Bassett, CLC. She came to my house in Winter Haven to work with me and my 5 1/2 week old daughter. I have been having a lot of soreness and pain, and felt like we were having latch issues. I wanted so desperately for breast-feeding to work, and was beginning to become disappointed that it might not. She worked with us so patiently and kindly, and never made me feel stupid or inappropriate. She was supportive and funny, and made me feel so very comfortable. She gave me several great tips and tricks, and it really made a world of difference. Our nursing time is now so much better. My daughter is doing well and I’m loving our bonding time. Amy saved us! I am so very thankful and appreciative of this kind woman and her professionalism. Thank you Amy!!
I reached out to Lactation Consultants of Central Florida when my 11 week old daughter abruptly stopped nursing – going through what is called a “nursing strike.” Amy is professional, caring, and so talented!! On top of making you feel totally at ease, her compassion and patience is incredibly helpful during such a sensitive time as a mother. She truly works from a place of love and her constant support was indescribably helpful during such a challenging time as a new parent. I would absolutely recommend her services to anyone in need of breastfeeding guidance and support. You are not alone in this journey!!
Words can not describe how priceless having a lactation counselor come to your house the first week or two after having the baby is. Amy came to my home when I was 15 days postpartum. Baby and I were doing pretty good to just OK nursing. I was having a problem nursing on my left. It was much more uncomfortable because of a shallow latch and the way I was holding the baby. Neither one of these issues really stood out to me. It was the lactation consultant who noticed that I was holding baby just slightly different with my left than my right. This prevented the baby from getting a deep latch and nursing well. She showed me how to sit more comfortable and how to hold baby and relax my shoulder. She spent about an hour, slightly more maybe, showing me how to nurse and troubleshooting issues. She told me about breast shields for my pump that are more ergonomic for comfortable pumping. She weighed the baby before and after nursing to see how much milk he was transferring. She wrote down all the key points of our visit with some tip to try. I’m very thankful to Amy for helping me and teaching me how to better nurse my baby. We just celebrated 6 months of exclusively breastfeeding! I honestly don’t think that we would have made it this far without Lactation Consultants of Central Florida’s help. THANK YOU, AMY!!!
Worth every penny! Renea was patient, helpful and very knowledgeable. I felt as ease breastfeeding my son after she left. Highly recommend her services. She was able to meet with me within 24 hours of my request and we met on a Saturday. Do not hesitate to call!
My son and I had a painful start with breastfeeding, so I reached out to Amy. She came out to our house and worked with us on getting a good latch, shared positioning tips, and answered a ton of questions.
We are going strong on our breastfeeding journey thanks to Amy. She’s been a great resource when questions have come up and is really supportive. I highly recommend her to any mama needing help or reassurance!
I CANNOT say enough about Lactation Consultants of Central Florida! Amy is THE REASON why I am still breastfeeding at 8 months – a goal of mine that I didn’t think I was going to meet.
I have been super impressed with the depth of Amy’s knowledge base and the way that she backs up her advice and guidance with research-based techniques and approaches. She also makes a point to answer questions and schedule visits in a very timely manner. Most importantly, Amy makes you feel totally comfortable, no matter where in your breastfeeding journey you might be.